Thursday, October 23, 2014   

Unpalatable bar review triggers legal tussle
(02-20 15:54)

An exclusive Japanese bar in the western city of Osaka, is suing a foodie website, arguing that unwanted publicity from a review is damaging its desire to be distinctive.
The bar has asked the popular “Tabelog'' website to take down a client review and photos.
But the operators of the site, which claims 53 million users a month, refused the request, arguing that the review is covered by the right to freedom of expression, the Asahi Shimbun and the Nikkei business daily said.
The bar, which threw open its nondescript doors in 2010, has no signage. It requires known customers and their guests to ring a doorbell and ask staff to unlock an iron door from inside.
“It was a way to differentiate the establishment. Our stagecraft as a secret hideaway was designed to appeal to visitors' imaginations,'' the bar operators told the Osaka District Court in a hearing Wednesday, according to the Asahi.
The Tabelog information “took away the elements of surprise and fun and undermined our operational strategy,’’ they said, demanding the website take down the post and asking for 3.3 million yen (US$32,400) in damages, the Asahi reported.
The review, alongside pictures of the bar, was posted in 2012. Its operators noticed it last summer and asked Tabelog to take it down, according to local press.
Tabelog claims to be the premier restaurant review website in Japan. A New York version launched in March last year.
Users write reviews of places they have eaten which others can use as a guide for finding the right spot.
   
Other World breaking news:
Two die in Sierra Leone riot sparked by Ebola blood testing (10-22 18:54)
Suspects retract claims they killed Brits: lawyers (10-22 18:50)
Father of UK hostage dies after appeal to save son (10-22 18:48)
NKorea says Kim Jong-Un freed US detainee on Obama request (10-22 18:44)
Japan deputy PM directly urges China to hold summit (10-22 18:26)
Uganda 'gay' trial dimissed due to lack of evidence (10-22 17:50)
Mexican soldiers allegedly executed 12 surrendered suspects (10-22 17:22)
At least four months to contain Ebola: Red Cross chief (10-22 16:48)
Ebola airport checks expand; nurses get training (10-22 16:43)
Canada raises 'terrorism' alert after soldier killed (10-22 13:19)

More breaking news >>

© 2014 The Standard, The Standard Newspapers Publishing Ltd.
Contact Us | About Us | Newsfeeds | Subscriptions | Print Ad. | Online Ad. | Street Pts

 


Home | Top News | Local | Business | China | ViewPoint | CityTalk | World | Sports | People | Central Station | Spree | Features

The Standard

Trademark and Copyright Notice: Copyright 2014, The Standard Newspaper Publishing Ltd., and its related entities. All rights reserved.  Use in whole or part of this site's content is prohibited.   Use of this Web site assumes acceptance of the
Terms of Use, Privacy Policy Statement and Copyright Policy.  Please also read our Ethics Statement.