Wednesday, July 23, 2014   

Italy’s center right stands in Renzi’s way, despite promises of jobs and electoral reforms
(02-17 19:53)

Italy's president asked the brash young leader of the Democratic Party, Matteo Renzi, to try to form a government after Renzi engineered the sacking of the previous premier in a power grab within their party.
Renzi, the 39-year-old mayor of Florence, met for more than an hour with President Giorgio Napolitano and said he had accepted the challenge with the traditional reservation used for new premier-elects to consult with potential allies. He said he would need a “few days'' before formally accepting the job, AP reports.
But Renzi already had his plans laid out, telling reporters that by the end of the month he would propose new legislation to reform Italy's electoral law to make the country more governable. By March he promised new measures to create jobs in a country where 40 percent of young people are without work. April and May would bring other reforms, he vowed.
“I assured the president, the political forces and I'd say all Italians who are witnessing this government crisis that I would put all the courage, energy, and enthusiasm I can muster to deal with the most important emergency: that of the labor market,'' he said after meeting with Napolitano.
Just last week, Renzi had orchestrated the mutiny within the Democratic Party to oust Enrico Letta as premier, accusing him of failing to jumpstart Italy's economy. In the days after Letta's sacking, Italy reported its first positive GDP in nearly three years.
Renzi's first challenge is to form a coalition and present a plan of government that can win votes of confidence in both houses of Parliament. That's no easy task given his aggressive power-grab has alienated even some within his own Democratic Party, not to mention opposition parties.
Outside the Quirinale palace on Monday, the small Italy Brothers center right movement staged a protest shouting “Elections! Elections!'' Party leaders have been incensed that Renzi, who has never served in parliament, is likely to become Italy's next premier without having ever stood for national elections.
In fact, he would be the third premier to be appointed without a ballot since 2011.
More importantly, the New Center Right movement of Angelino Alfano, who had served as Letta's deputy premier in the coalition government, has refused to give Renzi his support, saying he wants to see his plan of action before deciding whether to back the government.
The much larger Forza Italia movement of Silvio Berlusconi has said it would remain in opposition, while the upstart, anti-establishment 5 Star Movement of comic-turned-politician Beppe Grillo has boycotted the transition process altogether.

   
Other World breaking news:
SKorean police critcized over body of ferry tycoon (2 hrs 39 mins ago)
Italian former official arrested over graft charge (2 hrs 44 mins ago)
Adele's son wins privacy case (07-23 18:59)
Foreigner in Israel killed by Gaza mortar (07-23 18:40)
(Flight MH17) Black boxes arrive in UK (07-23 18:25)
India school head arrested over rape (07-23 18:16)
Thai junta defends temporary constitution (07-23 18:11)
Frenchman gets 15-year term in Indonesia drug case (07-23 18:06)
UK exports arms to Russia despite sanctions threat (07-23 18:04)
Neo-Nazi group banned in German state (07-23 17:41)

More breaking news >>

© 2014 The Standard, The Standard Newspapers Publishing Ltd.
Contact Us | About Us | Newsfeeds | Subscriptions | Print Ad. | Online Ad. | Street Pts

 


Home | Top News | Local | Business | China | ViewPoint | CityTalk | World | Sports | People | Central Station | Spree | Features

The Standard

Trademark and Copyright Notice: Copyright 2014, The Standard Newspaper Publishing Ltd., and its related entities. All rights reserved.  Use in whole or part of this site's content is prohibited.   Use of this Web site assumes acceptance of the
Terms of Use, Privacy Policy Statement and Copyright Policy.  Please also read our Ethics Statement.