Monday, October 20, 2014   

Seoul to finalize jet fighter deal this year
(01-28 11:33)

South Korea plans to finalize the purchase of 40 next-generation F-35 jet fighters from US aerospace giant Lockheed Martin later this year, Seoul's military procurement agency said.
"We will... push to sign the contract in the third quarter... after testing and further negotiations,'' Jung Kwang-Sun, the Defense Acquisition Program Administration's aircraft department director, told reporters in a briefing late Monday, AFP reports.
The South's air force has been looking to upgrade its ageing fleet of Boeing F-4 and F-5 fighters in the light of North Korea's growing nuclear threat.
Jung did not specifically name the F-35s, but they are the only jet fighters on offer that meet the requirement -- laid down by the South Korean joint chiefs of staff last month -- for a stealth-capable fighter.
The absence of a stealth capability was behind the military's decision in September to block a US$7.7 billion deal to buy 60 of Boeing's F-15 fighters.
The Boeing aircraft was the only one to come in under the US$7.7 billion budget approved by parliament.
The tender has since been adjusted, although Jung declined to give details on the cost of the 40 F-35s, saying it would require both finance ministry and parliamentary approval.
"If we choose to buy F-35s, we will choose to buy the F-35A that has been adopted by the US Air Force,'' he said, adding they would be delivered from 2018 onwards.
The F-35A takes off and lands conventionally. The F-35B variant can land vertically, like the obsolete Harrier plane, and its users will include the US Marines and Britain's armed forces.   
Other World breaking news:
Japan loses two female ministers over cash scandals (23 mins ago)
Comet Siding Spring whizzes past Mars (28 mins ago)
Australia abandons controversial niqab segregation plan (30 mins ago)
Spanish nurse tests negative for Ebola (33 mins ago)
Search resumes for missing South Koreans after Thai boat crash (10-20 12:52)
SKorea warns North against 'reckless provocation' (10-20 12:36)
Japan minister resigns over campaign fund charges (10-20 10:57)
Franco-German mini-summit to tackle growth, budget (10-20 10:56)
Japan reactor near active volcanos called unsafe (10-17 18:18)
Thai man charged with insulting royals for toilet graffiti (10-17 17:23)

More breaking news >>

© 2014 The Standard, The Standard Newspapers Publishing Ltd.
Contact Us | About Us | Newsfeeds | Subscriptions | Print Ad. | Online Ad. | Street Pts

 


Home | Top News | Local | Business | China | ViewPoint | CityTalk | World | Sports | People | Central Station | Spree | Features

The Standard

Trademark and Copyright Notice: Copyright 2014, The Standard Newspaper Publishing Ltd., and its related entities. All rights reserved.  Use in whole or part of this site's content is prohibited.   Use of this Web site assumes acceptance of the
Terms of Use, Privacy Policy Statement and Copyright Policy.  Please also read our Ethics Statement.