Tuesday, September 2, 2014   

Syrian opposition differs over Iran at Syria talks
(01-21 09:26)

Syria's main opposition group confirmed it would take part in peace talks this week after the UN withdrew an invitation for Iran – the main ally of Damascus.
However the biggest bloc in Syria's opposition-in-exile, the Syrian National Council said late Monday it was quitting the umbrella Syrian National Coalition in protest over the Geneva II peace talks with Damascus, AFP reports.
The SNC said taking part in the talks would renege on its “commitments'' to not enter negotiations until Syrian President Bashar al-Assad left power – something he refuses to do.
Earlier, the larger Syrian National Coalition in a statement said it “welcomed the decision of the United Nations Secretary General Mr Ban Ki Moon to withdraw the invitation sent to Iran, given that Iran has not met the conditions of participation in Geneva 2 conference.’’
It said it therefore “confirms its participation'' in the talks which it said aimed to achieve “a political transition.’’
The opposition group's steadfast stance is that Syrian President Bashar al-Assad must quit power.
UN leader Ban had abruptly excluded Iran from this week's Syria peace conference in Switzerland after it refused to back calls for a transitional government to end the country's war.
Ban withdrew the invitation less than 24 hours after it had been made, bidding to save the talks. Discussion starts Wednesday in the Swiss town of Montreux.
The UN secretary general was forced to act after both the Syrian opposition and the United States demanded the invitation be withdrawn if Iran did not support a Syria declaration adopted by major world powers in Geneva in 2012.
Iran is a major backer of Assad, who reaffirmed that he would not stand down in an interview with AFP published Monday.

   
Other World breaking news:
Parents of UK boy with tumor face Spanish hearing (09-01 18:11)
Americans detained in North Korea call for US help (09-01 18:04)
Japan firm showcases 'touchable' 3D technology (09-01 17:57)
UK to propose anti-terror laws (09-01 17:18)
Japan launches campaign to stockpile toilet paper (09-01 16:56)
19 new dengue cases in Japan, linked to Tokyo park (09-01 16:54)
Gunman kills two in New Zealand govt office (09-01 15:50)
German train drivers plan walkout (09-01 15:48)
Two dead in New Zealand welfare office shooting (09-01 15:20)
Japan says electronics OK during take-off and landing (09-01 14:28)

More breaking news >>

© 2014 The Standard, The Standard Newspapers Publishing Ltd.
Contact Us | About Us | Newsfeeds | Subscriptions | Print Ad. | Online Ad. | Street Pts

 


Home | Top News | Local | Business | China | ViewPoint | CityTalk | World | Sports | People | Central Station | Spree | Features

The Standard

Trademark and Copyright Notice: Copyright 2014, The Standard Newspaper Publishing Ltd., and its related entities. All rights reserved.  Use in whole or part of this site's content is prohibited.   Use of this Web site assumes acceptance of the
Terms of Use, Privacy Policy Statement and Copyright Policy.  Please also read our Ethics Statement.