|Kids shoes found toxic
The Consumer Council says more than half of the children's plastic footwear it tested contained toxic chemicals that could damage the liver or kidneys, or cause cancer.
The watchdog tested 28 samples of shoes, slippers and rainboots.
Fifteen of them contained a plasticiser in excess of international limits, and in 12 of the models, the plasticiser content was between 15 to 43 percent -- way above the 0.1 percent allowed in the US state of California.
Another four samples had a cancer-causing substance called P-A-H, which is easily absorbed through the skin.
"Regardless of whether the chemical can be absorbed through skin, children could also ingest them indirectly'" a spokesman for the Council Professor Ron Hui warned.
He said that if children had touched the plastic footwear the particles could contaminate their hands, and when they put food into their mouths they could absorb the chemicals indirectly.
Meanwhile, the council also reported a sharp rise in complaints against wedding services.
It received nearly 30 complaints last year, compared with only 15 in 2012, against wedding organisers and civil celebrants. --RTHK