Friday, August 29, 2014   

Beijing’s Tianyi Inn falls prey to modernization
(01-09 11:40)

China demolishes landmark inn once hailed as symbol of change
When they introduced market reforms, China's rulers celebrated a tiny privately owned Beijing hotel that survived decades of state planning as an example to the nation.
But now the Tianyi Inn has been demolished, apparently overcome by the very changes it once symbolized, writes AFP’s Tom Hancock.
The hotel was torn down in late December to make way for a government-backed modernization project.
Its former owners say they have not been compensated and live in constant fear of arrest.
“Until we were demolished, the government always protected us,'' said Qiao Shuzhi, 63, the son of the inn's founder, who supported China's Communist Party when it was still an underground movement.
“Now it's not safe any more, so I won't stay there,'' he added.
His father Qiao Tianmin was granted a “Special Business Operation License'' in 1953 by Beijing's chief of police, seemingly as a reward for his service to the communists as China fought against Japan.
“He was a farmer with just a few months of schooling, he couldn't work as a party cadre... so they permitted him to open a small business,'' Qiao said.
The hostel began as little more than a spare room, where a single heated bed slept up to eight people each night – a miscellany of farmers, builders and craftsmen who arrived in Beijing for work and were charged a pittance to stay.
The business never made the Qiao family a fortune but was unique in the city during an era when virtually all Chinese worked in government-controlled work units and the ruling party planned all aspects of the economy.
It even survived the tumult of Mao's decade-long Cultural Revolution.
“That we remained open during the Cultural Revolution is really a miracle,'' Qiao recalled. His father – who died in 1991 – maintained it was protected on special orders from former Premier Zhou Enlai, he added.
After Mao's death in 1976 the party sought to revive China's wrecked economy with pro-market reforms, and seized on the humble west Beijing boarding house as an example of the kind of private business they hoped to foster.
The People's Daily, the party's mouthpiece, ran a front-page editorial about the inn in 1979 headlined “Having more Mom and Pop stores is a good thing.’’
The party-run Beijing Daily said on its front page the same year: “That it survived the great calamities created by Lin Biao and the Gang of Four is a miracle... its existence has a reason.''
The 1980s were a comparative golden era for business, Qiao said, as emerging entrepreneurs and migrant workers from across China headed to the capital, and a new building was added to cope with demand.
But the establishment soon faced competition from scores of other privately run hotels as the city transformed, and in latter years its guests were mostly poor travellers visiting family at a nearby hospital.
Last year the district government earmarked the inn and the surrounding streets as a “village within the city'' – a designation for dilapidated areas that usually precedes their demolition and replacement with new buildings – and ordered locals to move out.
Qiao refused to leave. He said he returned home one morning to find two digging machines mauling the two-story white-tiled building.
He was seized by a group of unidentified men and held for more than 10 hours, he said.
“Our inn was celebrated as an example,'' he said. “We say that our home should not be demolished, and if it is then at least build us a new one.''
Construction workers have fenced off the site, and local residents confirmed the hotel had been destroyed.
Local authorities declined to comment when called by AFP.
Now Qiao and his son Xuan, 33, live in a succession of small hotel rooms to avoid police scrutiny as they attempt to bring attention to their case.

   
Other China breaking news:
Former Hohhot vice mayor sentenced to death (37 mins ago)
Taiwanese actor apologizes over drug use (59 mins ago)
Guizhou landslide toll rises to 15: report (08-29 10:57)
Former Guangxi official stands trial (08-28 18:16)
China vows to respond to US surveillance flights (08-28 17:59)
Chinese courts to be open to foreigners (08-28 17:17)
8 killed after bus plunges into valley (08-28 14:24)
Shanxi provincial officials removed from posts (08-28 11:42)
6 dead, 21 missing in Guizhou landslide (08-28 11:18)
Ex-planning chief under investigation (08-28 10:50)

More breaking news >>

© 2014 The Standard, The Standard Newspapers Publishing Ltd.
Contact Us | About Us | Newsfeeds | Subscriptions | Print Ad. | Online Ad. | Street Pts

 


Home | Top News | Local | Business | China | ViewPoint | CityTalk | World | Sports | People | Central Station | Spree | Features

The Standard

Trademark and Copyright Notice: Copyright 2014, The Standard Newspaper Publishing Ltd., and its related entities. All rights reserved.  Use in whole or part of this site's content is prohibited.   Use of this Web site assumes acceptance of the
Terms of Use, Privacy Policy Statement and Copyright Policy.  Please also read our Ethics Statement.