Wednesday, July 23, 2014   

1,400 seek welfare since court ruling
(01-08 14:53)

More than 1,400 new immigrants have applied for social welfare in the three weeks after the Court of Final Appeal scrapped the 7-year residential requirement for applicants to the Comprehensive Social Security Allowance.
The Labour and Welfare Secretary, Matthew Cheung, said welfare spending will grow, but the government needs more time to assess its impact on the treasury.
Cheung also said the administration will not seek to reverse the judgment by asking the Central Government to interpret the Basic Law. –RTHK


   
Other Hong Kong breaking news:
Talks begin between pan-democrats, CS (23 mins ago)
Completion of M+ museum likely to be delayed (2 hrs 18 mins ago)
380k signatures against Occupy Central so far (2 hrs 49 mins ago)
Kwun Tong Line services return to normal (07-23 14:01)
Flights between HK and Taiwan disrupted (07-23 13:55)
Govt urged to buy back Link REIT (07-23 13:53)
Shareholders removed from annual meeting (07-23 10:47)
Hopes dim for reform talks: Cyd Ho (07-23 10:44)
(Update) West Rail Line service delayed (07-22 18:33)
Amber signal cancelled (07-22 17:08)

More breaking news >>

© 2014 The Standard, The Standard Newspapers Publishing Ltd.
Contact Us | About Us | Newsfeeds | Subscriptions | Print Ad. | Online Ad. | Street Pts

 


Home | Top News | Local | Business | China | ViewPoint | CityTalk | World | Sports | People | Central Station | Spree | Features

The Standard

Trademark and Copyright Notice: Copyright 2014, The Standard Newspaper Publishing Ltd., and its related entities. All rights reserved.  Use in whole or part of this site's content is prohibited.   Use of this Web site assumes acceptance of the
Terms of Use, Privacy Policy Statement and Copyright Policy.  Please also read our Ethics Statement.