Friday, November 28, 2014   

San Francisco arson suspect Feng claims hearing voices
(01-07 14:14)

A Chinese man called police to tell them he lit a blaze at the Chinese Consulate in San Francisco on New Year's Eve, telling investigators he was driven by voices he was hearing, federal investigators said.
Yan Feng, 39, of Daly City, California, told investigators he unsuccessfully tried to use his passport to ignite gasoline he had poured on the consulate's door and steps, an FBI affidavit said.
FBI Special Agent in Charge David J Johnson said Feng was arrested at his home Friday after he called police in Daly City, a San Francisco suburb.
The suspect, a permanent resident, made his first court appearance Monday on charges of causing damage to property of a foreign government and arson.
A four-page FBI affidavit filed in support of federal charges said after Feng called Daly City authorities claiming to be the alleged arsonist, officers detained Feng.
In an interview with FBI agents, Feng said he bought the gasoline at a gas station near the consulate. He drove to the consulate, then placed two containers filled with gasoline at the consulate's front door. When his passport failed to burn, the affidavit said Feng used a lighter, igniting the gas before driving away.
Two days after the fire, Feng called the Daly City police dispatcher and identified himself in Chinese as the person who “made the fire'' in front of the Chinese government building, according to an FBI translation of the tape.
FBI agent Michael P. Eldridge said in an affidavit that, after being advised of his right to remain silent, Feng told agents “he targeted the Chinese Consulate because all the voices he had been hearing were in Chinese, and the Chinese Consulate had to have been involved.'' There was no further explanation in the document.
No one was hurt in the blaze.




   
Other China breaking news:
Guizhou coal mine explosion kills 11: Xinhua (11-27 14:52)
China drafts first domestic violence law (11-26 18:53)
Coal mine fire kills 26 in Liaoning: Xinhua (11-26 17:58)
China asks US for help in hunting down fugitives (11-26 15:56)
China blasts US comments on island project as 'irresponsible' (11-24 17:06)
Sichuan quake death toll rises to five (11-24 11:35)
Island project in disputed waters 'justifiable': general (11-24 11:21)
Uighur scholar's appeal rejected against life sentence (11-21 18:38)
Chinese journalist tried on state secrets charge (11-21 11:42)
7 killed in knife attack at military clinic (11-20 17:36)

More breaking news >>

© 2014 The Standard, The Standard Newspapers Publishing Ltd.
Contact Us | About Us | Newsfeeds | Subscriptions | Print Ad. | Online Ad. | Street Pts

 


Home | Top News | Local | Business | China | ViewPoint | CityTalk | World | Sports | People | Central Station | Spree | Features

The Standard

Trademark and Copyright Notice: Copyright 2014, The Standard Newspaper Publishing Ltd., and its related entities. All rights reserved.  Use in whole or part of this site's content is prohibited.   Use of this Web site assumes acceptance of the
Terms of Use, Privacy Policy Statement and Copyright Policy.  Please also read our Ethics Statement.