|Aussie Rolf Harris faces more sex abuse charges including offense against girl under nine
Aging Australian entertainer Rolf Harris, who will stand trial in April accused of indecently assaulting two underage girls, will face three further charges of sexual assault, Britain's public prosecutor said Monday.
Harris, 83, came to Britain in 1952 and has been a popular entertainer since the 1970s. He appeared on stage at a pop concert in front of Buckingham Palace to mark Queen Elizabeth II's diamond jubilee last year. He even painted an 80th birthday portrait of Queen Elizabeth II in 2005 and has received honors from both Britain and Australia, AFP reports
“The three counts will be prosecuted in addition to the 13 alleged sexual offenses with which Mr Harris was charged on 29 August 2013,'' said a Crown Prosecution Service spokesman.
“The alleged offences relate to one existing complainant and two new complainants,'' he added.
The prosecutor said the additional charges are for assault, relating to a girl aged 19 in 1984; indecent assault on a girl aged seven or eight in 1968 or 1969; and indecent assault on a girl aged 14 in 1975.
Harris, who has long been a fixture on British television, already faced nine counts of indecent assault, as well as four counts of making indecent images of children.
A formal plea hearing is set for January 14 and a trial date set for April 30.
Harris is one of several older celebrities in Britain arrested under Operation Yewtree, the police probe into historical abuse set up in the wake of revelations that the late BBC presenter Jimmy Savile was a prolific sexual abuser.
The charges against Harris are not connected to Savile.
As a singer, Harris topped the Australian charts in 1960 with “Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Sport'' and the British charts in 1969 with "Two Little Boys.’’