|Child’s tragic death in cot triggers Ikea recall of SMILA lamp in Hong Kong
Swedish flat pack furniture maker Ikea said today it is recalling the SMILA wall mounted lamp following reports of the death of a child who had become entangled in the cord. The child had been in a cot.
In a statement Ikea urged all customers who have a SMILA wall mounted lamp “to check immediately that the lamp and cord are out of reach of children when in a cot or playpen and securely fastened to the wall.
Loose lamp cords can present a strangulation hazard to infants and young children.’’
Ikea said it “received a report of a tragic accident where an infant in a cot died after becoming entangled in the cord of a SMILA wall mounted lamp.’’
Customers should contact customer service department or call customer services hotline on 3125 0818.They may also email: enquiry@IKEA.com.hk
Ikea said it will provide a repair kit.
Ikea also reminded customers that any corded product such as a window covering or blind can present a strangulation hazard. It advised buyers to keep cords out of reach of young children.—The Standard