Saturday, November 1, 2014   

Manila media cite inept typhoon aid effort
(11-13 19:02)

Media reports in Philippines have highlighted criticism of the Aquino administration by international news networks over the inadequate respone following the typhoon that laid to waste vast regions and caused thousands of deaths.
Meanwhile, rotting corpses have been uncollected and the government has admitted not having enough body bags.
Philippine Daily Inquirer said in a report today that global media including CNN and UK-government funded broadcaster BBC have deplored the Aquino administration's “disorganized” aid operation.
CNN journalist Anderson Cooper in his report said what was happening in Tacloban in Leyte province was a “demolition, not a construction job.''
"There is no real evidence of organized recovery or relief,'' he said, the Philipine Daily Inquirer reports.
He also said it has been five days since the typhoon but it is still not clear who is in charge in providing assistance in the area. Fellow CNN journalist Paula Hancocks said the search and rescue never materialized.
"It is a very desperate situation, among the most desperate I've seen in covering disasters…. You would expect perhaps to see a feeding center that had been set up for 5 days after the storm. We haven't seen that, not in this area,'' Cooper reported.
BBC's Jon Donnison also reported the lack of an effective operation to assist survivors.”
Presidential Spokesperson Edwin Lacierda, said relief goods were reaching the city, Philipine Daily Inquirer reports.
AFP reported that cabinet secretary Rene Almendras admitted authorities had been overwhelmed by the sheer number of corpses.
"The reason the body recovery stopped is because we ran out of body bags,'' he said. "But we now have 4,000 bags. I am not saying the casualties are 4,000. We are making sure there is an oversupply.''
   
Other World breaking news:
Juncker's EU Commission takes office (10-31 18:19)
Eurozone inflation up, unemployment steady (10-31 18:15)
Japan's vast public pension fund says to double stock investment (10-31 17:23)
Saudi beheads man for murder (10-30 18:37)
Rights groups slam Singapore court ruling on anti-gay law (10-30 18:26)
Billionaires' US$10m gift to Yale stirs debate in China (10-30 12:47)
Africans in New York complain of Ebola stigma (10-30 11:23)
Funeral museum rises again in death-fixated Vienna (10-30 11:22)
Toronto snubs mainland Confucius group (10-30 11:22)
US theaters advised to ban 'smart' watches and glasses (10-30 11:06)

More breaking news >>

© 2014 The Standard, The Standard Newspapers Publishing Ltd.
Contact Us | About Us | Newsfeeds | Subscriptions | Print Ad. | Online Ad. | Street Pts

 


Home | Top News | Local | Business | China | ViewPoint | CityTalk | World | Sports | People | Central Station | Spree | Features

The Standard

Trademark and Copyright Notice: Copyright 2014, The Standard Newspaper Publishing Ltd., and its related entities. All rights reserved.  Use in whole or part of this site's content is prohibited.   Use of this Web site assumes acceptance of the
Terms of Use, Privacy Policy Statement and Copyright Policy.  Please also read our Ethics Statement.