|(America’s Cup) 'We thought we would make it exciting.'
The following are key quotes following the USA team's improbable comeback to win the America's Cup and claim the Auld Mug trophy by beating New Zealand 9-8:
* “Facing the barrel of the gun at 8-1 and what do these guys do? They didn't even flinch.'' American skipper Jimmy Spithill on the history-making comeback.
* “Hollywood would have said this is not possible; it's an unbelievable script.'' Regatta director Iain Murray.
* “We didn't get the last one we needed to take it back to New Zealand. It is hard to swallow.'' New Zealand skipper Dean Barker on his team's epic choke after leading the series 8-1 last Wednesday.
* “We wouldn't have done it any other way. To come from behind, man these guys just showed so much heart.'' Spithill on the teamwork.
* “We thought we would make it exciting,'' Spithill joking about the USA catamaran's unexpected nose dive early in the race.
* “I think the AC72s have found a sweet spot with the people. They were challenging, exciting, and provided a great platform for these races.'' Director Murray talking about the move to switch to high-tech catamarans this year.
* “We felt we didn't leave anything on the table. We know we had a fight on our hands.'' Barker on giving it their all.—AFP