|Wahaha tycoon Zong recovering from knife attack, police detain jobless migrant
Zong Qinghou (pictured), one of China's richest men, has suffered a knife attack near his residence in Hangzhou last Friday, but is now recovering. Local police confirmed today that a suspect is in custody.
Zong, chairman of beverage giant Hangzhou Wahaha Group Co., suffered injuries to his hand in the incident on Friday morning in Hangzhou, capital of eastern Zhejiang Province, according to police.
Zong had been treated at the Second Affiliated Hospital of Zhejiang University School of Medicine. Police said Zong sustained injuries to tendons in two fingers of his left hand.
The suspect, a 49-year-old man surnamed Yang, was captured at about 3 pm on Friday.
Police said Yang, a resident of Suzhou City in neighboring Jiangsu Province, came to Hangzhou earlier this year, hoping to find a job. Having failed in the job hunt, Yang then had sought a job at Zong's company, according to police.
On Friday, Yang came to visit Zong and met him. After being declined a job opportunity, Yang had attacked the tycoon, police said.
Zong told Xinhua he suffered only minor injuries and was now recovering.
Zong, 67, is the second-richest man in China with a personal fortune of 115 billion yuan, according to the Hurun Rich List released last Wednesday in Beijing.
The Wahaha Group started from a humble factory affiliated to a primary school in 1987 and grew into one of the top 500 private enterprises in China.
Sources said Zong has resumed work after the attack.