Wednesday, October 1, 2014   

Dominicans target sacked Polish Papal envoy over child sex
(09-11 11:15)

Parents of several children in the Dominican Republic have accused the Vatican's sacked envoy to the Caribbean nation of pedophilia, authorities said.
“There are a number of parents who have filed reports'' against Polish national Josef Wesolowski, deputy prosecutor Bolivar Sanchez said.
Sanchez was tapped by Attorney General Francisco Dominguez Brito to lead the investigation, AFP reports.
“So far, we have interviewed three [boys] here; in another location we interviewed four more boys,'' said Sanchez. “They are all from 13 to 18 years old and mainly from very poor neighborhoods.’’
He added there were “some very painful situations.’’
On August 21 Monsignor Wesolowski, the papal nuncio in Santo Domingo, was sacked. The Vatican did not share the news with the public.
Last week, Vatican spokesman Federico Lombardi told the I.Media news agency on Vatican affairs that an investigation was underway in Rome into allegations of child sex abuse against Wesolowski.
The Dominican press said the diplomat had sex for money with underage boys in the “Zona colonial,’’ the historic center of Santo Domingo.
Wesolowski, a 65-year-old Pole who has been the papal envoy in Santo Domingo for five years, was ordained in 1972 by the then Archbishop of Krakow, Cardinal Karol Wojtyla, who later became Pope John Paul II.
John Paul II appointed him nuncio to Bolivia, his first posting.
   
Other World breaking news:
New Interpol complex in Singapore to boost fight against cyber crime (09-30 15:32)
Man kicked to death in row over Japan noodle shop seat (09-30 15:18)
Canada demands Google, Netflix data, sets deadline: reports (09-30 14:12)
No Japan volcano rescue Tuesday amid fears of new eruption (09-30 14:10)
Dallas hospital monitoring patient for Ebola (09-30 12:04)
Islam-linked US beheading suspect to be charged (09-30 10:30)
SKorea ferry runs aground, all 109 rescued (09-30 10:29)
Spain files challenge to Catalonia independence vote (09-29 19:04)
War crimes court hears Karadzic closing arguments (09-29 16:22)
Two dead in decompression chamber in Japan spa (09-29 15:22)

More breaking news >>

© 2014 The Standard, The Standard Newspapers Publishing Ltd.
Contact Us | About Us | Newsfeeds | Subscriptions | Print Ad. | Online Ad. | Street Pts

 


Home | Top News | Local | Business | China | ViewPoint | CityTalk | World | Sports | People | Central Station | Spree | Features

The Standard

Trademark and Copyright Notice: Copyright 2014, The Standard Newspaper Publishing Ltd., and its related entities. All rights reserved.  Use in whole or part of this site's content is prohibited.   Use of this Web site assumes acceptance of the
Terms of Use, Privacy Policy Statement and Copyright Policy.  Please also read our Ethics Statement.