Friday, December 19, 2014   

(H7N9 watch) Five infected in four provinces
(04-29 11:13)

Five more H7N9 bird flu cases were confirmed last night in four provinces in mainland China, local health authorities say.
The latest confirmed cases came from eastern Zhejiang, Jiangxi and Shandong provinces, as well as southeastern Fujian Province, Xinhua reports.
A 38-year-old man surnamed Xu tested positive for the bird flu in Zhejiang's capital of Hangzhou, according to the provincial health department. He exhibited flu symptoms on April 18 and is now at the First Affiliated Hospital at Zhejiang University.
Six of the 46 cases reported in the province have resulted in death, while nine people have been discharged from the hospital after making a full recovery.
“Few of the newly confirmed patients are in critical condition," said Li Lanjuan, who is in charge of H7N9 treatment at the First Affiliated Hospital, Zhejiang University.
An 80-year-old man surnamed Xiong and a 31-year-old woman surnamed Xu in Jiangxi Province tested positive for H7N9 bird flu yesterday as well, according to the provincial health department. Of the 19 people who had close contact with the two patients, none has shown any abnormal symptoms so far.
On Sunday afternoon, health authorities confirmed an H7N9 bird flu case in Fujian, marking the coastal province's second case. The patient, an 80-year-old man whose surname was given as You, is a farmer from Yangxia Township in Fuqing, a county-level city in Fujian's capital of Fuzhou. You is in critical condition, according to a statement from the province's public health department. The man developed a cough and fever before he sought treatment at a local hospital on Saturday, it said.
None of the 33 people who had close contact with You has shown any symptoms so far.
In Shandong, experts confirmed an H7N9 bird flu case in the city of Zaozhuang. The patient, a four-year-old boy surnamed Zhang, developed a fever on Saturday. The boy is the son of Shandong's first confirmed H7N9 patient. But initial investigation has not found evidence of human-to-human infection, according to a statement from the provincial public health department. The statement said the boy is in stable condition.
Xu Jianguo, a researcher with the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, said the chance of a major H7N9 outbreak is slim, although the situation must not be taken lightly and monitoring should be intensified.
   
Other Hong Kong breaking news:
(SHKP trial) Thomas Kwok steps down as chairman (12-19 19:24)
(SHKP trial) Two middlemen detained after convicted (12-19 18:50)
(SHKP trial) Verdicts for high profile bribery case of Rafael Hui, Kwok borthers (12-19 18:35)
(SHKP trial) Rafael Hui: from top official to convicted (12-19 18:16)
(SHKP trial) Billionaire brothers at heart of trial (12-19 18:11)
(SHKP trial) ICAC remains unbiased in investigations (12-19 17:13)
(SHKP trial) Jurors exempted from jury duty in five years (12-19 17:00)
(SHKP trial) Raymond Kwok thankful his name cleared (12-19 16:42)
(SHKP trial) Alan Leong calls for improvement in vetting and disclaration system (12-19 16:35)
(SHKP trial) 'Black eye' for Hong Kong: analyst (12-19 16:32)

More breaking news >>

© 2014 The Standard, The Standard Newspapers Publishing Ltd.
Contact Us | About Us | Newsfeeds | Subscriptions | Print Ad. | Online Ad. | Street Pts

 


Home | Top News | Local | Business | China | ViewPoint | CityTalk | World | Sports | People | Central Station | Spree | Features

The Standard

Trademark and Copyright Notice: Copyright 2014, The Standard Newspaper Publishing Ltd., and its related entities. All rights reserved.  Use in whole or part of this site's content is prohibited.   Use of this Web site assumes acceptance of the
Terms of Use, Privacy Policy Statement and Copyright Policy.  Please also read our Ethics Statement.