Public outcry triggers scrapping of Tsim Sha Tsui harborfront revamp
Wednesday, February 17, 2016
The government made a surprise announcement today that it will significantly scale back a plan to revitalise the Tsim Sha Tsui harborfront.
The Leisure and Cultural Services Department said it is scrapping the proposal to open restaurants, observation decks and a film gallery on the Tsim Sha Tsui East Promenade.
The revamp was approved by the Town Planning Board in August last year. The work was originally expected to take more than two years.
LCSD says it will revise the design to make it simple and maintain the area as “a passive public open space.’’
In a statement, a spokesman for the department said the change was made in response to views from the public consultation last year.
It said the majority of the respondents wished to have fewer structures to be built on the promenade so that people can stroll on a more spacious area and enjoy unobstructed views of Victoria Harbour. Respondents also expressed the wish to shorten the period during which the promenade has to be closed for renovation.
Under the new plan, all trees will be retained. Only basic improvement works will be carried out. The period during which the promenade has to be closed for renovation is expected to be reduced by about half.
The statement also said LCSD will manage the facilities.—RTHK