Six arrested at protests in Kowloon and Mong Kok
Monday, July 08, 2019
Six people were arrested yesterday in connection with the anti-extradition rally in Kowloon and the late night stand off between police and some protesters in Mong Kok, the police said, RTHK reports.
One person was arrested for failing to produce proof of identity during the rally, while five were held for assaulting a policeman and obstructing a policeman in the execution of duties.
The police said they took action from 11:00pm to clear the protesters after they occupied roads in the vicinity of Canton Road.
"From 9:00pm, protesters occupied northbound of Nathan Road, passing through Tsim Sha Tsui, Jordan, Yau Ma Tei and arrived Mong Kok. Police set up cordon line at the junction of Nathan Road and Argyle Street [and made] repeated warnings that they were participating in an unlawful assembly [and] police would take actions to disperse the crowd," the police statement said.
It also said the mass rally – which they had earlier estimate had 58,000 at its peak and organizers said saw 230,000 took part – "was generally peaceful and orderly.''
"It is the policy of police to facilitate all peaceful public events while at the same time ensuring public safety and public order. Police strongly condemn the illegal acts of protesters for blocking the roads," the statement concluded.
In a statement, the government also expressed regret over occupation of roads in Mong Kok by some protesters.
A spokesman said their standoff with police had blocked traffic, disrupted commercial activities and caused inconvenience to citizens. It added that an earlier march to the West Kowloon express rail terminus yesterday afternoon was largely peaceful and rational.
It said various government departments and the MTR Corporation had worked together to minimize the impact of the march on passengers who had to use the station.-photo: RTHK