(Sichuan quake) 126 foreigners evacuated, China says

China | 11 Aug 2017 10:54 am

More than 50,000 tourists, including 126 foreigners, were evacuated following a deadly earthquake in southwestern Sichuan province Tuesday, local authorities announced.

The tourists have been taken to safer places including the cities of Mianyang and Chengdu. More than 9,000 local residents have been evacuated as well.

The 7-magnitude earthquake struck Jiuzhaigou, a UNESCO nature reserve and popular tourist destination, at 9:19 p.m. Tuesday.

So far, 19 people have been confirmed dead and 343 injured, the information office of the provincial government said in the latest casualties update.

Rescue workers found 16 people trapped at a scenic spot called Panda Sea in Jiuzhaigou. Ten firefighters went to their aid Thursday morning and the result is not available yet, Xinhua reported.

Search Archive

Advanced Search
December 2017
S M T W T F S

Today's Standard



Yearly Magazine

Yearly Magazine