Three convicted for rioting in Mong Kok, two freed

Local | 17 Jul 2017 5:39 pm

The District Court has convicted three people for rioting in Mong Kok last year, while two others were acquitted over the violent clashes. 

The prosecution had presented to the court a video showing three of the accused wearing face masks and throwing bricks at the police during the clashes on the first day of the 2016 Lunar New Year. 

District Court judge Frankie Yiu said there was no doubt Chris Yung, Law Ho-yin and Lin Yun-fact were the rioters. He said their clothing matched with the video submitted by the police. 

Clearing the defendant Leo Chan, the judge said the prosecution failed to prove without reasonable doubt that he took part in the riot. 

But the judge questioned his claim to be a citizen journalist because he didn't film one of the bigger stand-offs between protesters and the police the following morning. 

Justice Yiu went on to say that there was no video showing defendant Sung Kwan-wo taking part in the violent clashes. Acquitting Sung, the judge said he can't just rely on the testimony of one police officer. 

The five defendants, aged 18 to 48, had all pleaded not guilty to the charges. 

The three found guilty of rioting will be sentenced on August 7, pending background reports and other formalities.-RTHK

Search Archive

Advanced Search
November 2017
S M T W T F S

Today's Standard



Yearly Magazine

Yearly Magazine