Ken Tsang says he is taking responsibility for his actionsLocal | 21 Mar 2017 12:08 pm
The High Court sent Occupy protester Ken Tsang Kin-chiu to jail today after he told the judge he was giving up his appeal against a conviction for assaulting police officers.
Tsang was last year sentenced to five weeks in prison after splashing police officers with liquid during the protests in 2014, and had been on bail since lodging an appeal.
Before sending him away, the judge personally confirmed the appeal decision with Tsang, warning him he would lose his right to appeal again in the future.
The pro-democracy activist's supporters waved him goodbye from the gallery as he was taken away to begin his sentence.
Speaking ahead of the hearing, Tsang said he accepted that "part of what he did was not tolerated by law.''
He said he thought it was time for him to take responsibility, partly because the police officers who beat him up during his arrest for the offence have since been jailed.
Seven officers were last month jailed for two years for assaulting Tsang in Tamar Park in the early hours of October 15, 2014.
Tsang is a member of the Chief Executive Election Committee which is to vote on Sunday to choose Hong Kong’s next leader. He said he would cast his ballot from prison.-RTHK