Group supporting fugitives bill clams up on Sunday planLocal | 14 Jun 2019 3:34 pm
In a surprising move, a concern group set up to support the government's extradition law amendments has canceled a media briefing without citing reasons, RTHK reports.
The group, named Safeguard HK, had earlier sent invitations to the media for a briefing at which it was to unveil a plan to hold a rally on Sunday in support of the controversial bill.
On the group's campaign website, it says more than 900,000 people have signed a petition in support of the fugitive law bill. The site also displays pictures of people holding banners in support of the amendments.
Critics, however, have suggested that a computer program is inflating the number of signatories.
The convener of the group, local CPPCC delegate Kennedy Wong, had claimed last month that the online campaign had collected hundreds of thousands of signatures from the public.
He had also said that after explanations by top officials, people are developing a better understanding of the amendments.
The group invited the media in the morning today to a press conference, saying that the group will rally in support of the bill on Sunday and that it will apply for police permission. But the briefing had been canceled by noon.
The sudden cancellation comes as pressure mounts on the Carrie Lam administration to drop the controversial bill, with even members of her Executive Council voicing concerns.
Over a million people took the streets last Sunday, calling for the bill to be dropped. On Wednesday, tens of thousands of protesters had laid siege to the Legco complex and the government's headquarters as lawmakers were scheduled to start debate on the bill.
The protest forced Legco to postpone the discussions.