Consuming wild mushrooms could be fatal, says expert

Local | 17 Apr 2018 2:08 pm

The head of the Hospital Authority's Toxicology Reference Laboratory has warned against foraging wild mushrooms, saying consuming them could be fatal, RTHK reported.

Dr Tony Mak said the Powder Cap Amanita has been responsible for most local mushroom poisoning cases over the past five years: six. Half of the victims developed acute liver failure.

Speaking about an online "Atlas of Poisonous Plants in Hong Kong" published by the Hospital Authority, Mak said he and his team spent months collecting information and photos of 117 toxic plants.

The atlas provides details of each one, including their toxic effects, something that could be of help to medical personnel.

Mak said the public should avoid wild foraging altogether if they want to eliminate the chance of being poisoned.

He recalled an incident where a grandmother mistakenly fed her grandson a red flower similar to one that is used in some Chinese medicine, leading to serious health problems.

Mak told the public broadcaster that some plants can even cause toxic reactions to skin and mucous membranes.

Search Archive

Advanced Search
September 2018
S M T W T F S

Today's Standard



Yearly Magazine

Yearly Magazine